History

Our division was created March 17, 1924 under a memorandum of agreement between the Alabama Department of Agriculture and the Bureau of Agriculture Economics of the United State Department of Agriculture operating under a separate trust fund created by the legislature in 1956. Peanut inspection began in 1949. Grain inspection began in 1952 when Mobile’s public grain elevator began exporting grain and the Decatur Office opened in 1955.